Station 3

Traffic & RoadsConnection to the world even without railways

Information point:
- Weststraße 58: Hotel Störmann / former royal Prussian post office

Transport routes
Until well into the 19th century, people in the Sauerland travelled either on horseback or on foot. Further distances could be covered by stagecoaches. In Schmallenberg the stage coaches stopped at the horse-changing station or post office, which was run by the merchant Anton Johann Störmann. In 1769 he received permission to serve alcohol and to build an inn. The post office and a general store were connected to this inn. Störmann traded almost everything: textiles (damask blankets, caps, bedding, yarn, knitted stockings), food (coffee, sugar, wine, herrings, flour), goods for everyday use (wax lights, shoe nails) and home-made schnapps. The family members also worked as farmers, carters, provided several mayors and one descendant founded the first textile factory. In 1826 Störmann was appointed "royal post office holder".
The carriages and horses travelled on little paved roads. An actual road construction only began at the end of the 18th century. Now, roads were built on dry and hard surfaces and in the middle of the road a vault was built for water drainage. The roads were dusty and dreadful; bitumen and asphalt as binding agents did not appear until around 1900. In Schmallenberg, the road to Gleidorf was paved in 1842 (today's B 236), and in 1844 the road section to Fleckenberg was paved. The former Landwehr (wall) in the north was turned into meadows and gardens. The square in front of the town was turned into a shooting range and surrounded by trees and hedges. In 1849 the road (Kommunalweg) to Grafschaft was built and in 1856 the road to Wormbach via Obringhausen. On it - between Fredeburg and Meschede, Winterberg and Schmallenberg - stage coaches pulled by two horses now ran regularly. The Schmallenberg doctor Dr. Witzheller acquired the first car in Schmallenberg for his home visits in 1908, and built a car shed (with half-timbering, sash windows and wooden gates) near his house on Weststraße.
Until after 1945 only the main streets and the streets in the city centre were developed or paved. All other streets were covered with water-bound, dusty ceilings. In 1949 they began to be extended and fortified. Traffic grew steadily in the following years; in 1997 the local bypass was opened, which relieved the historic city centre.
The connection to the railway network was made relatively late in 1888 and was not a success story: after just over 100 years, the connection was abandoned in 1994. 1885-87 the railway line Schmallenberg-Altemhunden was built. In 1889 the line was continued via Fredeburg to Wenholthausen and Wennemen. The line proved to be unprofitable: In 1964 the connection Altenhundem - Wenholthausen was discontinued, in 1967 the section Altenhundem-Schmallenberg was dismantled and in 1991 the connection Wenholthausen-Schmallenberg, in 1994 the connection Schmallenberg-Wennemen was discontinued. Since 2006 there is a cycle path (the "Sauerlandradring") on the railway embankment between Schmallenberg and Eslohe-Bremke.

In the
long run, the remaining infrastructure development was more successful than the railway construction: Already in 1852 the higher town school was founded, in 1855 the savings bank (Oststraße 41) was the second one in the district of Meschede. In 1876 the town was connected to the telegraph line Cologne-Meschede and in 1881 the first telephone set was installed.
In 1882 the first water came directly into the houses via domestic water pipes. Until then, all water for drinking and domestic use had to be drawn from draw wells within the town; until 1882, almost every house had a well. When water was scarce, water was drawn from the Lenne. The house owners had to contribute financially to the development of the water supply. With the new water pipe, the water containers for extinguishing fires (the so-called "Feuerkümpe" near Mittelstraße and Synagogestraße) became superfluous.
In 1910/11, improving health care also included the construction of the nursing home in the house at Weststraße 48, which developed into a municipal hospital, which had to be abandoned in 1974. There had been a pharmacy in the city since 1798 (Weststraße 62, since 1960 Löwenapotheke at Weststraße 16; the Marien-Apotheke is still located in the old building). The establishment of a river bathing establishment in the Lenne in 1906 was also part of the growing health care. In 1974 Schmallenberg and the county received the status of state-approved climatic health resorts.

Post coach in Wormbach/Schmallenberg in the years 1906/1907.

Carriage in front of the Störmann house in Schmallenberg 1890.

The doctor Dr. Witzheller in the first Schmallenberg car in 1908

Postbus in Wormbach in the 1920s.

The oxcart is still in use as a means of transport for a long time

Paving work for the fortification of the West Street at the beginning of the 20th century

The Lower West Street in 1912

The lower West Street near Störmann around 1920

Railway construction near Schmallenberg around 1910

Construction of the railway bridge on the Donscheid near Fredeburg in 1908

Announcement of the opening of the railway to Fredeburg in 1899.

Schmallenberg with railway in 1904: The railway line is visible in the middle of the picture in the background.

The station of Schmallenberg in 1956

Snowed-in passenger train near Steinhelle-Medebach

Last trip from Altenhundem to Schmallenberg in 1964